Here are all the occurrences from May! Nothing too, too exciting, but hopefully nothing boring either. 😉 Quite a bit of this happened last week because my memory just doesn’t remember the previous weeks that well. But I’ll get started, as I am sure you are dying with curiosity what I did with my month, and how it relates to what I mentioned in the title of this blog post!
- We got musical appliances, giving a whole new meaning to the name SamSUNG. We have owned a Samsung refrigerator and dishwasher for a while now, but just recently replaced our washer and dryer. They are both quite the musical performers, for appliances anyway.
- As our dance recital gets closer, the dance studio where some of my sisters and I take classes had a picture night. We had to dress up in our costumes, do our hair, smile, be blinded by the camera….all the while being suffocated by sparkles, sequins, and hairspray. I’ve danced a long time, and love it, but I still have no regard for sparkly stuff whatsoever. I guess it’s just not meant to be! By the way, our dance recital is next month, so more on that later!
- I got to play volleyball for the first time this year- it was great. And I got a lovely bruise on my wrist from hitting the ball too hard. In the wrong direction. Multiple times. Needless to say, I was not the MVP.
- We celebrated Memorial Day by going to the oldest Memorial Day parade in the country. It started in 1868.
- I had a friend over for the holiday. Friends are just the best. 🙂
- Our truck decided to break down on Memorial Day, but everyone made it home safely and our poor, old truck is getting repaired….
- I tried a Frozen Hot Chocolate smoothie from QT. I should have tried it sooner!
- We had young friends stay over with us for almost a week- that was fun, and it’s always interesting adjusting to having different people in the house
- We are preparing for one of my sisters’ graduation party. In trying to make our house presentable to our general acquaintances, it’s turned into a slight renovation of the house. I’m only exaggerating a little.
- Our meat chickens made a change of residency- they went from the garden to our freezer, with a little work in between. But I’ll spare you the details, just know that I was stuck plucking, and dread the day I shall have to again.
- Our strawberry patch started producing earlier this month, and has yet to stop. Our table that had been covered in small plants and dirt is now covered in beautiful, sun-ripened, delicious strawberries. I had forgotten how good they taste! My family had a strawberry patch several years ago in our garden, but were replaced with vegetables. Last year we turned one of our hills into a terrace-type thing called a swale, and planted a ton of strawberry plants. We are now reaping the benefits, plus some. I do believe that today we begin the making of strawberry preserves….
- In addition to the graduation party we are having, I have already been to one this month with more to come. It’s typically fun to go to those and see the baby pictures, socialize, and eat cake.
- We got more chicks. This time they are egg-layers, and much cuter.
- On my way to a dog-sitting job, with two nine-year-old backseat drivers, I saw baby foxes! They were just hanging out by the road, but thankfully not on the road. Did you know that a baby fox can be called a kit, cub, or pup? At least that’s the story that Google is telling, and they’re sticking with it!
- Our garden has been slowly coming together. There will be some planting, and then it will rain, then more planting, then more rain.
- My sister and I began a thing called oil-pulling. We swish coconut oil around in our mouths for 20 minutes every morning. It’s not the most pleasant thing in the world- who would like a tablespoon full of coconut-flavored oil in their mouth? It’s like shortening with coconut flakes in it. But that’s only for the first half a minute or so. After that it melts. Our respective motives for doing this odd thing actually vary. The oil-pulling is supposed to pull bacteria out of your mouth. In doing so, it can have the added benefit of whitening teeth, and better health for teeth(like cavities and such). My sister is interested in the teeth whitening, I am very interested in reversing a partial cavity I have because going to the dentist is not, by any stretch, something I enjoy. We’ll see if we each get our wishes…. Another added benefit is that our teeth feel clean and glossy all day.
- Lastly, I have been knitting. I have been working on an eternity scarf/cowl. It has checkers of a caramel color and a chocolate color. I like it quite a bit, but being that I don’t wear a whole lot of scarves, it’s going on my Etsy shop. So look for it on there soon, if you want to see it anyway…. 🙂 Or I might put a picture of it on Instagram- @Hannah__Abell I’d love to know what you think!
I’m thinking that’s about it! Like I said, nothing too exciting. But then again, you can’t say I was sitting around twiddling my thumbs either. I hope you had a wonderful month of May! I’d love to hear what you did. 🙂 Thanks for reading, and have a lovely weekend.