Well, it’s finished…. And actually, it’s already in Belgium! Or so I’ve been told…. I had a few glitches along the way, but my first international order is coming to a close.
Last Wednesday(not a day ago Wednesday, but a week ago Wednesday), I put the finishing touches on my custom order. I got home from work, and prepared myself to felt the Mohawk. Just to let you know, a Mohawk hat must be felted, or it looks like a rug on top of a hat. To get the spiky Mohawk, you have to soak it in soapy hot water and aggravate the wool in it. Yes, I was aggravating my wool. Anyway, I nearly had a heart attack when my wool wouldn’t felt. Like, I repeated the process several times and it was *still* a floppy mess- there were no spikes involved. Well, other than the imaginary spikes in my head, getting closer and closer to popping my balloon of success and happiness about my first international custom order. And that above is why I rarely ever make creative comparisons- because my creativity is wacko and my comparisons stink…. So, back to my story…. The wool was NOT getting aggravated- I was getting aggravated. So, after probably the 10th time(very little exaggeration involved here….) of little success, I got more aggressive. Instead of rubbing it in between my hands, which has always worked before, I started rubbing it fiercely against a flat, but textured surface. My hopes of it working were low, but I was also getting pretty desperate at this point- I HAD to ship it out by the following Tuesday, I was almost out of yarn, and there was absolutely no way I could make another one. Imagine my massive surprise(and even more relief!) when it actually worked!
The day after that, Thursday, I took my little project to the post office. I was quite happy that it seemed to be sent without a hitch. Friday I checked the tracking number- USPS says that number doesn’t exist. I thought that was okay- it was only the day after, and with all the Valentine’s Day mail….. Yes, I was grasping for excuses. And they only got worse from there over the weekend, when my package and it’s tracking number *still* didn’t exist! Monday I tried to call the post office, but then I realized it was President’s Day. Sigh…..So, Tuesday, almost a week later, I finally talked to the nice post office lady. Apparently, their computer system crashed or something like that, and she couldn’t check it at the time. She called me back yesterday, but I was at work. I returned her call today(tag- she’s it!) and got good news- my package is already in Belgium! I’m not too excited that I can’t see it myself on the computer, but I was told that the problem is a result of that computer crash last Thursday. So, now I have to play the waiting game and see how it goes about getting to my customer in Belgium. We’ll see!
Have a lovely day!!!